Birthday

It started something like this:

MS: Wei, how's your daughter? When's her first birthday?
ME: Well its quite soon, really
MS: Oh, good! Then you can do a birthday bash!
ME: Er, well...
MS: Yeah! I can bring my kids over to play with Kristine!
ME: I... don't have the budget
MD: Never mind! You can have it in your house!
ME: No, really I don't have the budget and Wifey...
MS: Never mind! We can do a pot luck!

This was getting way too pushy until I have to put my foot down and then:

MS: OK, OK! Never mind, no need all those trouble. I'll just visit you then!

Oh, God! Some people just can't take no for an answer. But then again, I feel sorry for her too. Being lonely and with two kids to support, with friends decentralised, sometimes it can really get to you. But that's still not the problem.

I know Kristine is going to have her first Birthday, whether she realise it or not. But the question is how, and where. But most importantly, how much? Looking back, in just less than a year, Kristine has grown from the size of a small salami to a little monster.

I want her to have a good celebration, (never mind if she does not remember it) with more than just family members. Or even the In-Laws. Or even friends

The problem is, where and how, not forgetting, how much as well. My Wife wants to have a quiet one instead. So many things to think of, not forgetting who to get a video-cam from as well.

A perfect place would be my house but needs a lot of cleaning up. Then, there is the Burger King/Mac Donalds which offers such facilities (but at what cost?) and the problem of inviting the "right" person. I mean, some teenagers would prefer not be seen dead at Mac Donalds for a baby's birthday. And even if booked a place in a restaurant, its going to be pretty expensive as well.

And at that time of the year, I am also trying to save up (unsuccessfully) for a trip to Singapore with Wifey. And what to get for Kristine's first Birthday present. So, its still a headache for me.

Yeah, and its all about money at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Babe_KL said...

we usually celebrate boiboi's BD wid just close relatives. simple makan at home/dai chau place. then cut cake, remember to take pics.