Happy Wesak Night

For a change this year, we're going to the Maha Vihara in the evening, on the Eve of Wesak Day. As to why we did this, apart from watching everyone sweating all over the place, is because the weather is very very hot. Not only that, tomorrow, we have other plans, which is to celebrate Mother's Day on the Eve as well.

And so, after work, I rushed back, where Wife got everyone together and away we go. Althought its Friday evening, the rush hour traffic was bearable, except for the occasional impatient driver who thinks the World is moving too slow for him. Still, a few deft maneuvres kept him in place. And then there is the problem of parking. As this was the Eve of Wesak Day, there were already a lot of people and so, parking is a problem in Brickfields. We did not park at the nearby school as always as it was not ready. And so, we had to park quite some distance which, we fell victim to the touts.

Man: Parking here is RM3.00
Me: Yeah, ka?
Man: Yah. RM3.00
Me: OK, but I want a receipt
Me: Hah? A receipt?
Me: Ya la. I want to claim expenses ma


So the Indian called someone using his Chinese-made mobile phone which has a cracked LCD screen but still, amazingly, worked. Maybe he's calling his "Boss" or backup, but luckily........

Man: Aiks. No answer la Me: Wah waht phone is that? Man: China one la. Cheap ma Me: Cheh. You waste money for what? My friend bought and had to change five within 3 months. (Bluffing, just to start conversation) Man: OK, tell you what. You come here before ah? Me: (bluffing again) Yeah I always come here [pointing to the front of the shops] to service phones la. (Technically, it was true but that was so eight years ago) Man: OK, you going where? Me: To the temple la. We praying ma Man: OK, OK. When you come back, you pay me the RM3.00 lor Me: OK.

In the stamingly humid environment, it was bearable.
And this was the first time I saw such a scene. So nice
and yet, amazed such a simple setup can affect me.

We had to wait quite a bit before the Monks
could bless us as we arrived at the time
where they have starting the praying. And
so, we walked about, and did our prayers.

How I wished I have brought my Nikon D50 along
but I know I am crap in these type of photography.
Still, there were a lot of shutterbugs about.


Later on, as we came out, we got some drinks and also
eventually came back to this stall. I wanted a toy gun
but because of the sign below, I gave my choice to my
wife who picked upa whistling hammer to hit her not
so attentive students in school.

The sign that says it all. RM10.00 for any three Chinese
made Toys. Kristine and Kaelynn each got a melody
phone which (Kristine's) ran out of battery hours later.
And yeah, the parking guy was nowhere to be seen when
we came back to the car. So we got away as fast as we can.

No comments: