Lighting the PKD Part III

OK, as promised, I have completed the electronics for the PKD this weekend for Kal. Its actually very easy except that you need to do fine soldering. And right at once, I realised that my eyesight is actually failing and so, I might need to buy a clamp-on desk lamp with a magnifier (hint hint).

Both pieces gave me a challenge because I did not have a 2-part epoxy handy (the last one disappeared but ti was filled with metal particles) and only UHU and hot-melt glues. The challenge for the metal cover was that I have to be careful that the LED legs to not touch the cover and also, not to let solder touch the cover too. As for the plastic piece, the problem is in making sure the slide switch stick to the cover. Using hot-melt glue (at that moment) was the only solution which unfortunately, affected the sliding switch's performance a bit.

This the PKD cover from the late Sid. One is
casted in plastic (more like black resin) and
the other one, thanks to Pol's info, is actually
pewter which I suspect is white metal at first

This time, I am using the thinner wire-wrapping
cables as opposed to the thick wires which really
crapped the project.


Testing the metal PKD cover. Nice

Don't think its dim as I used flash. This kind of
photography is tricky for me. So, trust me as
the LEDs are very bright.


Metal and Plastic PKD covers side by side.
Now you can see the brightness

No comments: