Trip to Pasar Road

I was at Pasar road today, and I did not tell someone about it because it was supposed to be a quickie. Anyway, there was a reason why I went there and this has something to do with fact that I bought the remote control system last week. After finally connecting the whole system together, I got the expected result; as usual, it did not work.

I've spent hours after hours poring over the datasheet and checking the connections but to no avail. I know the receiver is receiving the data since it registered some voltage changes when compared to a ready-built 4-channel version. what it did not do, the IC, I mean, was to confirm the data is correct and activate the output.

And so, because I know that today I would pass through that area, I decided to bring the whole circuit to the shop. I showed it to the guys and they too was stumped. And so, I went through the steps one by one with them, until I reached the frequency part and that's when we all went, "Aha!".

The problem is that I have paralleled the oscillating resistor instead of putting them serially. This means, I have created a frequency which was ¼ of the original value. And so, after that, it was smiles all round. But the guys at the shop told me not to feel bad since I work on this late into the night and so, my train of thought was stuck in a loop. They, being not familiar with my design, could look at it from a fresh point of view.

So, my circuit is very simple and I think, it can be done without using any circuit board as I can just solder everything onto an IC socket and let it run from there. But the voltage regulator and the pair of relays would require some imaginative soldering. Oh, heck. I forgot to look for a 12volt switchover relay! I just hope I have one spare.........

Hee hee hee hee! It works and I tested it to be
working to a range of about 70 metres or so as
I called into the office while pressing the remote
from across the road. I told my coordinator to
watch for the lights and tell me when it lights up

While I was there, I went back to the same shop I bough the 3-digit countdown kit only to find a new kit that costs RM4.00 more, at Rm72.00. Its a complete solution, suitable to what nexus was asking for; 4-digits which can not only count down but up as well. The only problem is that I would need to get a clock pulse generator to simulate the button presses ion a very fast pace. However, there is a catch. It is using a microprocessor. Although there was a sticker blocking it, the tell-tale clue was a clock crystal which a certain range of microprocessors needed and this Ic was THE IC for a lot of Pasar Road kits. Its obsolete and so, someone got them from a clearance sale, I would think. Since I bought the other kits and also soldered them, there is no way I can get them exchanged. But the main thing that stopped me was that what I am paying for, is the copyright of the programmed code inside the chip and I doubt it comes free with the kit. So, if the IC is burnt for some unforseen circumstances, you're out of luck. Still I cannot confirm abut the code unless they allow me to open the pack, which I know, they would not. Nor would they accept credit cards either.

The cost of this kit, at one glance, is obscenely cheap but I am not going to tell you how much.

Damn it. I think I can make one but then,
it would take time to design the PCB and
with the deadline, its not possible.

No comments: