Satay Lunch at Kajang

After our trip to you-know-where with our you-know-who to do the you-know-what, we decided to stop for lunch in Kajang. They were discussing on the idea of having Satay at night in some food court, which is like eating a mouldy apple while locked in a freezer. And so, just to prove that Kajang is very near to the City, I decided to drive all the way there. Which is not an easy feat since I managed to go in the opposite directions as given by the GPS.

After some phone calls, we managed to get in touch with a relative who pointed us to a shop which is located just across the Police Station. If you're coming from the main road and the Police Station is on your left, the shop is on your right. But you need to make a U-turn, though. (try not to do that in front of the Police Station). Actually, I was thinking of going to Haji Samuri but with some people commenting that quality suffered since they expanded, I decided to give it a miss.

The shop in question is The Restoran Malaysia (aka Nyuk Lan Kalajng Satay). Although it is Chinese-owned, it is actually certified Halal. The reason which made us chose this place was because of the meat cooked there. The chicken meat are actually from the white meat and the beef is reported to be quite tender (but we did not order this). For some who are used to the normal satay which has chicken fat and the caramelised taste, the taste here is quite dry. Healtier? I cannot say but it is a refreshing change.

One more thing. Parking... is... a... nightmare...


The satay sauce is full of peanuts and if you want it to be hot, they will add the sambal for you, which, in my case, made the sauce a little bit bitter. Hot and sweet but slightly bitter. Also, I like to fully coat my Satays with the peanut sauce, which is not easy since the bowls are very small. For a moment, I actually thought there was some severe peanut rationing in the country.


We started off with the chicken satay which comes with the peanut sauce and the ketupat. Nowadays, the only real pleasure for me when it comes to satay was eating the cucumber and onions, dipped in the peanut sauce. Again, I thought there was some onion trade embargo with India.


Then, we ordered the noodle, which I suspect is the Hai Lam mee and it is very very good! And it actually made me forget about the onions and the shallow peanut sauce bowls.


With the smiles on their faces, I am quite happy that we made the right choice.


Its fresh from the grill and they're so good at it, none of the meat was burnt save for one.


Panoramic shot. Depite today being a Public Holiday, minutes after I took this shot, there were a lot of hungry customers waiting for empty tables.
For more information, here is the address. I did not call them up since I know there is a old lady at the counter. Any smart remarks from me would usually get a "Hah?" response in different tones anyway. But one day, I am going to ask if they can reserve tables...

Restoran Malaysia (Nyuk Lan Kajang Satay)
31 Jalan Semenyih
Kajang
Tel: 603-8733 1160
Opens from 10am till 11pm
Closed on Tuesdays


If its alright with them, the next chance I get, I will try to bring my own onions...

No comments: