System down

After hearing and laughing about how incompetent techs mount systems only to have them fall off the wall, it really happened to us. It was so embarrassing because I promised myself that it would never ever happen to us. But it did.

Maybe it was my fault. Maybe because it was my tech's fault. Or maybe, it was not time to put my trusts to them. Whatever the reason was, it has already happened and it time to make sure it would not happen again. Sigh.

Still, during our morning technical briefing, my tech showed us the photos he had taken on site. And unlike most organisation, we take in the clues and signs, discuss it and then take the next course of action. There is no finger pointing and I do not encourage it either. We just learn from it.

The system fell from the wall. Note the
mounting holes. When it fell, it pulled
everything to the floor and almost the
metal trunking with it too

After much discussion, we concluded the failure
was due to the nylon mounting plug which pulled
free because the mounting screw was too short to
help secure it. Since I was not there, the only clue
was the red circle in the picture as there were no
signs of the screw on the other end.

But there is another reason. The theory was that
someone tried to gain access to the manhole in
the ceiling because the mounting hole showed
signs of stress as if it was pulled downwards. This
case has happened before from another place.
My only clue was the almost bent corner on top
of the server rack....

No comments: