Electronic Candle with Flicker

When it comes to electronics, simulating a flickering burning candle can be achieve in a few ways. One could be via "old school" electronics where you stuff loads of off the shelf electronics components into a board. The effects can vary from downright amazement, "You call that flicker?" to extreme disbelieve, "Wow. Now, that is what I call a candle!". However, the downside it that the electronics alone would not fit into a normal sized candle.

So, the only solution would be to use microprocessors to do the job. Mind you, when it comes to using them, you have to remember the the age old computer adage of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). this means, how well the candle flicker works depends on how it has been programmed. The simples way would be for the processor to run through the numbers in an EPROM or memory. And the other is to create a random number or someting similar, which is not simple because there is no feature to generate random numbers in a code. You have to build it up. But since I am not going to waste my time on this, I looked to ebay for my solution. This is because of time and money saved. Don't believe me? Try this:

To create the candle flicker, first you must know which microprocessor to use, their programmer to to buy and also, the programming language to learn. Once you have done that, you have to design your own circuit board and hope that everything goes well when its all soldered. After the first prototype, you have to miniaturise it. Easy or not? Yeah, so, instead of years and thousands of ringgit (really), ebay solved my problem for Rm32.39 and three weeks, my solution arrived on my desk. Ha ha ha ha!

[Note: A fellow programmer is NOT a GIGOLO as in GIGO-lou, la)

This is a battery operated candle which can flicker. How well it flickers,
well, all I can say is, "OK, what" since I am too lazy to compare it to an
actual lighted candle. Knowing me, I could burn the house down in the
process as well. I did buy a local version but all the stupid thing would
do was to use three 1.5volt batteries and use a simple Red/Blue/Green
led which rotate the colours. Ever seen a candle cycle its flame colours
from Red to Blue to Green? Yeah, weird, right?

This one is better as when I opened it up, there is the white
LED and a small COB (Copper On Board) black gob. And it
uses only one battery, so, I can now remove it, power it via
another set of battery and connect the white LED to another
circuit which will flier about 12 LEDs at once. Ha ha ha ha ha!

I don't believe I am doing these at four in the morning.

No comments: