Building my Notebook PSU part I

Belated post[04.11.2009 20:11]

I now have two choices in terms of getting a new power supply for my Notebook. I can either go to Low Yatt and get another Toshiba PSU or, make my own. And so, after thinking very hard and the risks involved, I decided to try making my own PSU.

Yes, I know its going to be a bit risky in the sense that anything or everything might go wrong. I know the original spec of the power supply and I have already repaired my second power supply (OK, wiring only) and with the latest one gone, I think I have nothing else to lose (except my Notebook). Although to me, carrying a PC PSU is cool, but its very cumbersome. Not only that, its 3 volts less than what is really needed.

And so, I started with a custom switch-mode
power supply, which costs me RM78.00 and
is delivered (I suspect) from Puchong.

But no, I am not going to stop there. I want to
make it look cool and so, I got a RM18.00 AC
Voltmeter which measures up to 450volts.

Maybe I can open it up and see if it can
be lighted as well........


Unfortunately, this PSU is too big to fit into my
bag without some customisation. And so, I will
have to rearrange the blue foam again when the
time comes. In the meantime, I am designing a
LED chaser circuit and also the right heatsink
for it. Oh, I think I am going to add some 40mm
lighted fans as well. Ha ha ha ha ha!


But I will not be building the PSU overnight since its going to take some time as I need to figure out a way to prevent fingers from touching the Live cable, put in a fuse and most importantly, available budget. So, this might be completed by end of November or December 2009.

No comments: