Lighting the PKD Part I

When Kal told me to take my time, I literally took my time on this. Heh. Nah, its just that I was quite busy with getting my car up and running and also, with my other projects.

Anyway, let's have a look at this project. What Kal needed was to light up the bottom console of the PKD. He has given me two versions of the bottom cover; one made of metal and the other, a plastic cast copy of the metal.

OK, the parts are here and looking back at
the huge cables I used, its going to be a bit
of a problem to fit everything in there.

The first problem of the day is the placement of
the slide switch. I suspect that the rectangle at
the side wall where the switch is going to be, is
actually the ACTUAL panel of the original switch

As there is no room inside, I have to cut the
both flanges off the switch as there is no room
for even 0.25 millimetre. Its a tight fit.


And just to make the switch move smoothly,
I might need to file the rectangular hole just
a bit more, well, rectangular. The red area is
just how the hole should be as its a bit too
small on the left. Shame I don't have a file
today and so, I must remember to buy one
tomorrow.

Test fit with the 3mm LEDs. So, after filing
it next week, I will get the chance to use
the JB Weld stuff.

The next piece, is the plastic piece which I would
have to get the correct drill bit as the one I have
is 1/8 or something which is a 0.0175 too big if I
compared it with a 3mm (0.3) drill bit. This is to
make sure the 3mm LEDs don't slip out of the hole.
But I'm also worried about doing the rectangular
hole since I am crap at modelling and also I might
not have the correct tools. I only have a cutter to
and a soon to be flat file to help me on this.

Test fit of the 12volt battery into the metal bottom
cover. I have to use the thin wires and since this is
metal, isolate all electrical joints, especially the LED
legs. Its a bit tight and so, the connectors to the green
LEDs might be a problem unless I can get a miniature
version or a different connector.

And so, this is how much the battery and the holder
jut out from the bottom cover, which I think is 5mm

Still, once I get it all done, there is a slight problem with connecting the green LEDs since they're on the PKD main body. I am not sure if the LEDs were connected parallel or in series. I think I would need to talk to Kal about getting him to pass me both versions of the PKD so I can work on it until its complete.

No comments: