Fibre-optics by the dozen

Just after the 'banana' incident today, I came across another shop selling stuff from China and then I had a closer look at one of the shelves. It had a lot of lighting decoration from glowsticks to LEDs to yep, fibre-optics. I am not sure of they're the real deal but then again, being that cheap, I don't think they're actual fibre-optics. But when I switched on the test unit, the light output from the LED to the fibre was quite good.....

And so, I had to buy a dozen of them since buying one
was like being halfway. They can't let me buy just the
fibre optics alone but it must come with a set even if I
traded for two bags of fibre-optics. Silly buggers! The
12 LEDs alone would cost more than the fibre-optics.
or am I wrong this time? No matter, I was RM22.80
poorer.

There was another design which is actually
a flower pot but with better battery design
and some glittering decor inside. However,
I am not going to pay double the price.

This is the circuit which makes it work. Underneath
is a programmed microprocessor which controls the
three red, green and blue LEDs and it gives a very
different lighting pattern at the touch of a button.
This is very unique because in the olden days, they
would use a motor to slowly spin a multicolored disk
and the effect of each fibre optic strand changing colour
is amazing. The three LEDs here have their own very
special charm too.

Each fibre-optic is about less than 0.4mm. And the
white area is pre-cut to help spread the light better

The other end of the fibre-optics are held in place
by this plastic piece. Which is good as it won't go
all over the place.

And there you have it. The fibre-optic and its base.
The strand is about 1inch shy of one feet.

OK, I just found out that my Nikon D50
has very little battery left and so, I have
to take them as fast as I can and please
excuse the mistakes such as this shot
when I forgot to turn off the fan.

The three LEDs shines in different
area and so, the fibre-optics have
different spread of colours.

Let's see from another angle....

You won't understand what I mean
until you see this shot. each LED is
shining at a different area or in other
words, each LED has their own sweet
spot.

So, I can't wait for Moebius's Battlestar Galactica model kit........

5 comments:

Will said...

bro... have you come across CREE LEDs? I heard they are the in thing now... better than Luxeons

CFC said...

Ye, I have heard of Cree LEds and they are more efficient than Luxeons. However, because of their designs and characteristics, you cannot just replace the Luxeon but rather, have to redesign the lens, reflectors, etc.

In terms of temperature, i think it is better too. As in not too hot.

Unfortunately, it will take some time before we even see them in Malaysia. its expensive to be a first adopter too. Ha ha ha.

Will said...

oh i see... yeah i saw some site mentioned it's much more efficient than luxeon

Unknown said...

this will be useful in my Titanic idea as well....

CFC said...

I will test this material more because I felt that the light transmission is not as efficient the other night. In other words, you might have to create a stronger light source for them.

I just sprained my back last night and so, I cannot do anything for the moment. Heck, I can't even brokeback with my wife.......