The Hasbro Snowspeeder

The Hasbro Snowspeeder is very very nice. And if you have the 1980's Kenner version, there is a stark contrast to their details. At that time, the details on it was the usual looks-good-enough-to-fool-people. But for the Hasbro version, it is the same but the amazing thing is, the detail is almost spot on to the actual filming miniature. I would say almost because of two little things; the size and some areas which needs major modifications. Still, I am happy with it and as far as I am concerned, just a bit of re-spraying and a little detailing would make it look realistic. And for RM109.90, its quite OK but I would wish they included at least one action figure.

And so, the Snowspeeder and the Luke Skywalker
action figure set me back quite a bit. If you are
interested in getting them, there are two versions
of the box. One is the blue 'new' design and the other
sort of followed Kenner's original box design. Which
ever version, the toy is the same.


As for the Like Skywalker action figure,
it took me a lot of effort to get it but as
you guessed from the previous post, I
got it at the same time. But this is the
only version and it comes in Battle Game
Cards. Whatever it is, it means I have a
lot of unwanted items. Heh

So, these unwanted items goes into the KIV bin,
forever forgotten until its needed again where it
will be considered as lost.

The reason I got this was because, well, there were
no other Luke Skywalker figures to go with the toy.

And well, he does look like those models in the
filming miniature, as long as you do not look at
it closely.

Let's go to the opening of the Snowspeeder. As usual,
the toys is secured quite firmly and so, there is no
problems about loose items scratching things. The
speeder is complete and the only thing you need to
do is to fit the panel, the twin guns and of course, the
rear tie cable launcher.

And here is where things get interesting. There are
two
sets of guns. One is the thicker one which allows
you to
launch missiles and the other, is the more
accurate one
which with slight modification and some
paint jobs, will
look very convincing.

Nothing much here, just the panel and the remaining
parts of the speeder's guns, plus the launcher.

Like the Kenner toy, this version also comes with
stickers. But I think I am going to see if there are
ways to detail the cockpit and light it up instead.

Here, it is the first part of the problem, which is
the seats, which is reclining too far back.

You won't notice until you put the action figures
in. Here, you can see that Luke is actually about
to get some shut-eye instead of going into battle.
But looking at it and the actual miniature, I guess
they are almost lying flat inside with the hands
by their sides, on the floor, where the flight
controls were.

There you go. And another thing is that in the actual
filming miniature, the heads of these figures were so
big that they almost had no space inside. But in other
shots, they were OK. But slightly bigger. Here, it is
too small but I am not going to be bothered unless I
really want to sculpt a new figure and cast it, which
I am sure, is a waste to time and resources.


So, looking at the toy, the details are very much there.
One day, when my Nikon D50 is fixed, I will try to do
a comparison shot of all three models. But I need to
find a Kenner Snowspeeder first. Anyone want to lend
me theirs?

I just found out that Luke's speeder is actually grey
and the ones with orange stripes belongs to other
pilots and Wedge Antilles. This is the photo of the
red striped Snowspeeder, taken from Modeller
Magic
.

So, this is the actual Hasbro Snowspeeder toy.

Now, compare this with the filming miniature, also
taken from Modeller Magic.

Of course, once when I have the time, i will start the conversion but right now, its just there, sitting, waiting for me...

No comments: