20240520 The Speaker from the Bin

 There is this unusual appeal when it comes to dumpster diving. Maybe it's the insatiable curiosity of wanting to know more about the owner and their history. Which usually boils down to, 'Who in their right mind would buy/ own this piece of junk?' judgement and then take it. There is usually nothing nice when it comes to raiding a waste bin as there would be the usual rotting pulp and dangerous sharp rusting pieces. However, some do it for survival and some well, for other reasons than survival.

 So I was dumping stuff as usual when I came across this nice Speaker. It has a nice heft to it and even a USB/ SC Card slot which means, it can play MP3s. The display confirms that and it can also pick up FM radio transmission. Anything except Bluetooth. Anyway, the next thing is to find out what was the reason it was thrown away and if there's nothing wrong, perhaps I can repurpose it for the boys, that is, if Boss agrees.

Uh-oh, as soon as the euphoria died down, I realised what this was.
A sub-woofer unit with the input and amplifier built into it. The unit was able to switch on and using a USB drive, it can play MP3s but with a muffled sound (obviously).

From the side, it has output for two satellite speakers via the RCA connections and an AUX via a 3.5mm Stereo jack. I have not turned the box completely as I'd need to know the amplifier's Wattage and speaker's impedance. Worst case would bet o open the box and look for clues. Right now, it has a supposedly model code of I-21-695

Update: 20240529

From the Internet, it is a 48W (Total Peak power) speaker system that comes with a remote. The model is E-221CR/FM. The Sub is a 5" while the satellite speakers are 3". I'm not sure of the impedance but one day, after the move, I'll try with a speaker.

I mean, this is a cheap system, and it's going for RM100 as a used unit. So, yeah, if I were to create a pair of replacement speakers, it would costs more.

 

No comments: