20240519 The Gas-Lighting remote

 So, I had this remote which replaced the previous remote that was replaced by the previous, previous remotes and more remotes after that. The problem with these remotes are that they are literally the Gatekeepers of the house and would not let any nonsense through. They do their job diligently and if you do not please them with the correct protocols, you're locked out.

 We, or rather, I cannot live without remotes, especially the gate remotes. When I was a kid, we were the ones who got out of the car and opened the gates while our parents waited in the car. I cannot remember if it rained but I supposed I think I did fight for the umbrella for the privilege to open the gates. By the time I was in my late-thirties, we had automated gates. The automated gate was no longer a jaw-dropping event or a luxury gadget for the rich.

 Owning a remote has become a natural since by this time, even my first car has a remote. These remotes work well and sometimes, it is fun to play with them. There was a time in the 90's where during my Friend's Wedding and we played with the car remote. His car was visible from more than 100 feet and so, everytime we armed or disarmed his car, people who were looking for parking space would swarm in. After about a minute or so, they realised it was a prank, they would drive off.

 The only time it was not fun with the remote was when the battery ran down. Or its frequency drifted if the remote was using a variable capacitor. THAT was a pain to tune if all you had was a small metal screwdriver. Or, when one or two of those small tactile push buttons failed. And one more, when the battery contacts oxidised. So, you'd end up activating the remote closer (as if standing next to it) or, whacking that damn thing.

 For my case, this remote I believe was either due to the oxidised battery contacts or, the push buttons themselves. The end result was causing me to doubt myself if I had pressed the button or not. So, I had to press again, this time, really staring at the remote as if it just nicked my hand or something. And they stupid little red Led lit up like normal. So, I kinda got gas-lighted.

 

See the mischievous grin on the remote? Yeah. The little gas-lighting f*cker.

 

No comments: