20240601 The puncture

 During Lunch hour, I stopped by Kee Hin (aka Michelin to us) to top up the nitrogen gas in my tyres. This would take less and 5 minutes and I would sill be on time back to Work. However, one of the Guys told me that my tyre actually has a puncture.

A normal nitrogen gas top-up revealed a months old puncture.
This meant that during the last top-up where I thought the tyre needed more nitrogen, it was already compromised.

We took the tyre for a water test where it revealed a slow leak, as in one small 2mm little silver bubble hanging around outside the leak. The leak happened months ago, which I ignored it until today.

The one inch nail was embedded deep inside and it was quite a challenge to pull it out but he did it.

At the same time, I can see cracks on my tyres too. I am not too sue when I had them changed but yeah, it's time to change.

Normally, to stop the leak, one would push in a piece of rubber strip, twist it around to make an airtight seal and then pull the applicator out. This time, he literally patched the tire but from the inside.

Which is a great idea since the air pressure would push against the seal, thereby strengthening it.

The whole saga (topping up the nitrogen gas, detecting the leak and sealing it) took less than 15 minutes, no counting small talk and all.
These guys are fast.

 

No comments: