Touch me if you can

This is an assignment given to me by Boss quite sometime ago. The Touch-screen monitor is no longer working. Although I do not like blogging things so close to my new job, but for this, I am going to make an exception because its bordering on tutorial. So, this information might come useful to you. Or it might not.

The main problem with this monitor is that the tube is gone. But the touchscreen function is suspected to be OK. So, the problem is, either to get it repaired or, see what I can do. And so, a the end of the day, the latter was chosen, 'When I have the time'.


After almost killing myself lugging the monitor all
the way back to the office, I finally got it opened.

The touchscreen interface was next. Its just a serial
interface but with a 12volt power requirement.

Which I found it here, where the installer soldered
the power cable to this component. Although it was
not powered up for a long time, I decided not to poke
around too much with my finger and the screwdriver
as you'll never know if there are still some electrical
charge stored inside the capacitors. Worse is that
the tube will explode but knowing me, I am not
taking chances as stranger things have happened
when I am around. Ha ha ha ha.

Next, its the touch-screen itself. As you can see, it
is held close to the screen by thick black electrical
tapes. And so, I carefully peeled off the tape. As
much as I like to use a blade, I prefer not to since
I do not know what other things are under the tape

I was right. There were some thin cable like plastic
surrounding the touchscreen. And so, I used a blade
this time, to carefully remove the clear double-sided
tape between the actual monitor and the touchscreen

After downloading the driver, and setting up the
screen to another test PC. I got it working! The
next thing is to get a frame to protect the touch
screen and then mount it onto this LCD screen

As for the rest of the monitor........

No comments: