The Cosplay JJPrise Phaser

While we were at Richard's Place the week before, he did mention that he has an old 2009 Playmates Phaser which he or his staff used it for Cosplay or Movie promotions. And he did mention that its quite beat up. Nevertheless, I still wanted it not because there are no more phasers but this is ideal for me to use as a based model for 'upgrading' the Phaser into some kind of a buffed up weapon for Military. (Think Star Trek VI's Phaser)

Notice that most of the chrome is work off, either
from the sweat of the hands or during normal
costume
wear and tear. Richard must have run
out of Red
Shirts because this Phaser has been
permanently
set to stun.
Yes! this is what I wanted!


There are signs that the it has been opened before
countless
of times. Or maybe, using the wrong tool.
Good.

And with the mechanism broken at the pivot
area, there is no way this Phaser can change
firing modes anymore.
Yes! This is getting better and better!

There are a lot more points I want to say but I will do this in my Website (in the near furture, too) but until then, I have set it back to Fire mode and play it until the upgrade idea takes direction and becomes a reality.

And now, specially for hardworkingguy2000, here are the photos of the Phaser taken apart....

Once you have open the two halves of the Phaser, the
barrel will slip out easily. How easily, I am not sure as
this one's broken and the parts just literally fell out.
Now, the next part is very, very painful because you
have to split the barrel apart along the seams as they
are actually glued together.

And this is the strangest thing I have ever seen. The
Red and Blue LEDs actually have a special holder! I
really liked how Playmates thought about this as the
LEDs needs to be firmly in place when the barrel
swings about.

Replacing the LEDs should not be a problem in theory
but since I did not touch on this, I have to assume that
it will be OK. Only when I had a closer look at the LEDs
did I start to worry because they are a bit shorter than
the normal 5mm LEDs. Still, you can try with a normal
5mm LED, but with a clear lens. As for the Blue, I would
go with a WHITE led White in theory is brighter.

2 comments:

Outpost Commander said...

Yes, previously had to unscrew it to open up and lock into fixed position as the firing barrel was misaligned to fire sideways...

CFC said...

Yep. All the reason for me to really modify it to something different. Heh heh.