Kenner's Batman Animated Batmobile

When Tim Burton's Batman Movie came out in 1989, it was a huge success. Not only did the movie capture the darker mood of the Dark Knight, the designs from the movie were breathtaking. From the sets to the props to the costumes, it really set the tone of the movie. And the most important 'prop' was the Batmobile, which makes Batman, well, Batman. It was designed by the late Anton Furst who gave it a very aggressive look yet retains the curves of a sleek looking car. It is easily one of the most popular Batmobile along with the 1966 Batmobile.

Fast forward three years later, The Batman Animated series came to our TV screens. And it was a huge success. The series not only boasted the voice talents of Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker of Star Wars fame) but also the way each character was drawn. But what attracted me most was the Batmobile. It was as if, the logical continuation of the Anton Furst Batmobile, but in a more, well, I don't know how to say this in artsy fartsy words, but its very.. erm.. let's just say, a brutally chunky art of deco-ish and mysterious shape which makes the Batmobile.

When I saw one of the episodes, I loved that car and so, began my search if such thing exists over here. I mean, at that time, I was busy working and so, did not bother much about these stuff. And so, when it came to Malaysia, it just sat on the shelves without me knowing the historical importance.

But finally, after my last trip to Amcorp Mall, I
got it. Its a little beaten up, though but I got it!

The canopy for the Batmobile is actually a flip
up, and not a sliding one, which, I have to assume
is the correct way of opening in the series.

From the front, this is how the Batmobile looks like.
Although it looks simplistic, as if it was designed as
a battering ram. But it you look again at the top pic,
and from that angle, its perfect. My plans here is to
put lights at the front as just like in the series, the
lights are the ones, IMHO, that brings attention to
the otherwise dark vehicle.

This is the rear of the Batmobile. In the toy, the
clunky thing in the middle is what was termed
as an escape jet. If I have to do this correctly, I
would need to putty up everything here and
throw away the jet's fins/wings.

When I say its a little beaten up, I would expect
some scratches and scruff but this is a bit too much.
Its as if some kid smacked it against a wall.
The reality
could be much worse since my
imaginations are working
overtime but lets leave it at that.


So, I quickly opened it up and luckily, where the
damage was, the plastic pillar is holding it up fine.
But putting in the lights behind the pillar is going
to be a problem since I want them to spot-shine
on the path in the front of the Batmobile.

But as usual, work beckons and this, will be stuffed in the 'to-do' list. Maybe when I retire, that is...

No comments: