The Tenth Dr. Who's Sonic Screwdriver

My friend just came back from UK for his Wedding and being a good friend, he got me some stuff. Hee hee hee. Anyway, these are Dr. Who's Sonic Screwdriver from two different toy companies.

First things, first. I hate Doctor Who. They are so boringly British and with so many actors playing the Doctor, it soft of gets confusing. I mean, even looking at their boring faces, I am sure the show is the same too. Well, not until I caught the lastest (the tenth) incarnation Dr. Who played by David Tennant which made piqued my interest.

So now, whenever I can, I will watch the episodes with him in it. And his assistant/sidekick, Billie Piper looks sexy as hell. Ha ha ha ha. Ahem.

The sonic screwdriver is a tool for the Doctor to open any lock, repair things and even being an offensive weapon. In essence, the sonic screwdriver is very much an icon for the Doctor. Like claws to Wolverine, like Tricorders to Star Trek, like lightsabers to Star Wars, etc. Well, you get the picture.

Anyway, after getting the sonic screwdrivers, I did some comparison. According to the Wikipedia, the Character Creations version of the toy is more robust to the original prop (but larger) that they bought the molds to reproduce it for the show. So now, I am holding an actual prop and it belongs to me! Muahahahahah! Maybe I should ask him to get me more when he goes back again.....


[Top] Here are the two sonic screwdrivers, the top is by Wesco and the bottom is by Character Creations.
[Bottom] Character Creations version comes with an interchangeable UV ink pen (wrapped) and a small notebook. Because of the size of the box, my friend had to ditch it for the flight home.



[Top] A closer look at CC's interchangeable pen tips
[Bottom] Size comparison. According to WIKIPEDIA, CC's sonic screwdriver is very accurate



[Top] Wesco's smaller sonic screwdriver only has a white LED while CC's is a UV LED.
[Bottom] You can't see much detail but the UV light picked up many signs on the ringgit note.




[Top] Remove the square piece that hides the screw, unscrew it and slowly pull the business end to reveal the whole electronics. The circuit board is located after the three LR44 batteries. As for the speakers, it is a small one located near the base of the tip, just after the round part.
[Bottom] You need a small screwdriver for this. Once its removed, you will need to twist the tip until it is loose. There gently knock the other end until the small black rubber hose that holds the three LR44 batteries slides out.

No comments: