The case of The Bulging Batteries

Our customer called us today and told us to come over to have a look at their UPS system which was bolted on their computer server rack. From the front panel, it seems like there is some problem with the backup batteries. Tried as I might, I could not get the battery drawer to open and so, I had to lug it back to the company with me.

And it is very heavy. Only when I arrived back at the office, I discovered that the system housed two sets of batteries and a big power transformer.

And this is the reason why I could not get the
drawer opened. The batteries were so badly
warped that it we eventually had to bend the
metal bars to get it out. We could not unscrew
anything as they were all riveted together.


And the batteries were worryingly hot.
Its like carrying a time-bomb in the car

No comments: