Green Laser Pointer

Wheeeee...........! I got a green laser pointer! And it costs less than what is being sold here. I think its about RM40-odd plus postage, of course. Here, I think it costs much much more. But then, who cares?

The reason I got this was during MITF where I was shown one and when I tested it, I loved it. The reason why is that compared to the red laser, the further the target is, the harder it is to see and sometimes, for certain people involved, this also means loss of valuable seconds trying to look for the red dot. The only saving grace is that red dots looks cool in movies.

So, when I pointed the pointed to a wall some 100metres away, it is still bright and looks very, well, prominent. And so, I wanted to have one, at the cheapest cost if possible. And I got it today.

A lot has to be said about the packaging and luckily,
it was not bent since the whole 'pen' is made of metal

It accepts two AAA batteries. For a hand-held device,
anything that takes more than a AAA feels very bulky.
And so, you twist it open and in the two pieces, one is
for the batteries while the other piece holds the main
circuitry for the green laser. Just like during the old
days, with the red lasers, they just mounted all the
electronics into a circuit board and shoved it into the
pen or tube.

Initially, when I inserted the batteries, it did not work,
even when I reversed the polarities. And so, after some
minutes of trying, I decided to sacrifice a paper clip......

This was because I used the Nokia 5800's camera light
and what I thought was the connector being too deep
and not able to make contact with the battery's end
cap, I folded the paper clip into a makeshift connector
until I can find a spring back home. But it still did not
work. Strange.

Only when I came back home did I realise the mistake.
One, the batteries I 'borrowed' were weak. And two, it
needs time for the circuit to generate more power to
pump the green laser out, which is about 4 seconds. So,
I took some 'new' batteries and tried it again. No more
1/2 seconds clicks like the red laser pointer.

Once the laser 'warms' up, its very bright

Laser light bending in a bottle of H2O. By this time,
the batteries are very weak. And if I really put in a
fresh pair, I would say, the light is brighter.

So, when I have the time and opportunity, I will try to borrow a telescope to see how far it can go (yeah, stupid ol' curious me) provided the pointer is still working by then. Ha ha ha.

No comments: