BS-75: Side ribs part 01

Again let me remind you that this is an exploratory post and nothing is definite. It just to give you some ideas on how to light up your model. But for the Cat Hotel Man, this part is the most important part of all.

The first thing I noticed on this model is that there is a fitting problem where the side-ribs are concerned. There are three triangle tabs which you must either cut off or just trim. Me, I just trimmed it a smidgen. Because if you do not perform either tasks beforehand, you will not get a very nice fit with the main body.

And once you have done that, the fit should be OK. I will not putty up the gaps (not because I have none) because there is no point in doing so. Moreover, at a later stage where you want to put in some plastic sheets for that plated look, the gap is almost insignificant.

Now, let's look at the other side, which is inside the model. And yes, there is a lot of space in there, contrary to what cat Hotel Man told me.

This means you can use 3mm red LEDs but then, the fit inside would have a lot of close-shaves.

In fact, I think will try with the 3mm LEDs first before confirming it with the SMT ones. The reason is that the SMT ones are very small (2mm x 1mm) and its not easy to solder. Moreover, moving it about when you need to align it, there is a very high chance that they will break off from the wires. And once that happens, resoldering it would either damage the LED more or, worse, 'peel' its metal leg off, permanently stopping the LED from working whatsoever. It would not even have the chance to enjoy a pension.

Here is shot of roughly what I am going to do. But because Kaelynn has lost my metal ruler, the measurements are at best approximate.

Until then, bye-bye.

No comments: