Working in Hong Kong

... after the interview, I was a bit hungry. And it was already quite late at night. If I was in Malaysia, there would be no other choice but to eat at the Mamaks. Still, this is new Hong Kong, a city which never sleeps.

The interview was held at one of Hong Kong's Prominent Shopping Centres cum Apartment cum Hotel cum Business suites, like something out of Sim City. And their lift/transport system is very unique. The place is similar to two towers place faw apart, sitting on a very long base, which is the shopping complex. And they also come out to the car park and back in, like a small LRT system. Similar to the place I dreamt about when I was in Malaysia. I cannot remember much about the interview but it was quite an urgent one from them. Just last night, they paid for my airfare and I was still in my T-shirts and jeans. However, since the new Economy (something happened to China), Hong Kong has been hiring a lot of overseas skills, mainly from Malaysia. And tonight, I get to stay in an apartment (At 14th floor) of what could be my new apartment if I do take the job.

However, there is a thought. i am now married and already have a baby. If I do take the job, it would mean that I would be away from home, maybe with a few days off in a year. Furthermore, they have not disclosed my actual salary and being new to Hong Kong, I am not sure if its enough since I am not familiar with thier lifestyle. Also, this would mean I would have to stop working with my friends where I am quite comfortable now.

Its already near midnight and the shops are closing. As everyone depends on the lifts (I hate to ask if a fire brokeout) there was already a very long queue. The lifts are quite slow, with one car coming every three to five minutes. So, this being a Japanese shopping complex, their staff are trained to lead the customers in groups of twenty. So, while waiting for the lifts, we all performed some mini exercises to pass the time.

When I got out, the midnight was not as dark as I thought. While walking for a breath of fresh air, I bumped into two of my ex-colleagues as well. So, this is how far Hong Kong went to attract Malaysians.

Then I woke up because the alarm clock said its time to go to work.

No comments: