Bad circuit design

I got a call from my technician regarding one of our customer's backup battery. It seemed that when the Toshiba PABX is down, the backup-battery would not switch over. So, I got him to use conduct a sereis of tests on the system but the result was still the same. So, I got him to come back to the company, take a replacement power supply and take the suspect item back for diagnosis. It has never happened before but after my last trip up North, I am not taking any chances.

When I opened the PSU, sure enough, it was the same problem spot. But here, this time round, I am confident that it can be repaired. So, for those who are having a Toshiba Strata CTX100, becareful when you need to deal with the backup batteries and try not to use too much force.

This is the charger circuit board. On the other side is the
connector. As you can see, there are nothing to secure the
connector to the circuit board and also, the circuit board is
not made of fibreglass but the resin paper types where the
copper tracks will come off if you solder on it too long. Here
lies the problem where when you insert the batteryconnectors,
you cannot insert too hard or twist it at an angle because it
will destroy the copper track on the other side. Here, some
thing has happened and I just soldered the broken tracks
back with wires and thank goodness it still works.

No comments: