Cleaning the Lady up I

So, with most of the afternoon free, its the perfect time to perform some minor maintenance to the Elantra, sore pinky or no sore pinky (yeah, it still hurts like the dickens). My first task is to do up the front headlights, followed with a good car shampoo session and finally, a wax job. The trip to JayaJusco's Eneos costs me RM104.00. Still, personally, I think its worth it because the car has given me nothing but enjoyable driving everyday. Because of its chassis, taking corners at 80 is quite normal and you would not feel anything out of place. Last of all, is the speed. Eventhough your body feels like 60, the meter is saying 85. Whooo.......

I decided to try Meguiar's products. First is the PlastX, a clear
plastic cleaner and polish with a price tag of RM49.00. I also
bought some grade 800 and 1200 sandpaper (RM1.00) and
a roll of masking tape (RM2.00). Last but not least, the very
Mequiar's Cleaner Wax which is priced at RM55.00.


Opening the wax's container, the nice cover holds the spobge.
But what's really interesting is the smell of the yellowish/brown
wax. My Boss also agreed with me that is smelt like one of those
toffee/butterscotch/caramel sweets. Its close enough but we
can't pinpoint the smell. But if you smell a second too long, it
would be followed by the chemical's fume.

This is how the untouched headlamp looked like. I have just put
on the masking tape. It is rough and I think some parts have
peeled off. This is the problem with plastic headlights. The
other is when it turns yellow due to the UV from the Sun
or from the earlier lamp element which does not have UV
coating. I have to be fast because the sky is darkening....


After going through it with grade 800 and then grade 1200
sandpaper. This is the hard part and already my pinky is
starting to get more and more painful. Maybe I should
invest in an orbital sander/polisher (someday)

After going through with a wet cloth. I was so happy because
I can see the headlights clearing alrady.


The PlastX instruction says, "Apply a small amount to foam applicator
pad. Rub thoroughly onto surface....." (Sponge taken from kitchen)

"...working a small section at a time. Wipe off residue with a clean
100% cotton cloth" (Rag taken from the garden)

"Wow". I am speechless....

But if you look from another angle, you can see it start to
blur almost immediately although it has a very nice to
the touch smooth surface.

And well, the headlights are done, I think. Next is to
give it a nice wash.

Whether PlastX made any difference to the performance, I
am not sure. This is the shot taken before the treatment....

And this is the shot taken after the treatment, which is
about 30 minutes apart. Yeah, I don't see any difference
either.

No comments: