Sardine curry puffs @ Damansara Uptown

While I was working at Damansara Uptown, I spotted a couple selling deep fried food from a van. While her husband was manning the apam stove and doing the deep frying, she was selling the food. Feeling peckish, I asked for the curry puffs. She said something to me which I could not pick out as I was not sure if she was talking to her husband or to me, but I do remember the word "ubi" (malay for potato) which means curry puff with potato filling.

Which is quite common.

Since I did not say anything, I just let her pick the curry puffs for me. And then I left as I was in a hurry to see the customer. You can call this a quick lunch if you want.

After the first curry puff, which was potato, I though nothing more about it and I wolfed down another. Wow.

Sweet.

And spicy.

Wow.

WOW!

I was hooked! Now I see what she meant! She was talking to me, asking if I wanted my curry puffs to have either potato or sardine fillings. Since I did not reply, she mixed them for me. This is the sardine/onion/chili mix which is quite common in those sardine sandwiches with cucumbers. But to have them in a curry puff is amazing.

Oh, and one day, I want to try the apams as well as I have seen the husband laying the mixture onto the pan, which is quite gooey/sticky than normal.

And so, after work, on my way back, I bought 15 pieces.
Naturally, wife scolded me for buying so much but in the
end, she agreed that it tasted delicious.

2 comments:

Erika said...

where exactly in damansara uptown?

CFC said...

I don't have my Nokia 5800 at the moment, so did not record the GPS coordinates.

One of the landmark is Maybank. When you are near Maybank, you will see a white van selling Rojak (you must try this too), cendol and ABC. With Maybank on your left and you are behind it, walk forward until you face the other side of the shoplots and then turn left. You will see another white van. Go up to the lady and say the magic words, "Ini adalah satu rompakan. Saya mau semua sardin kari pap......"

Ha ha ha ha ha!