Working smart and hard too

OK, this is the place where Education is a punch. We were asked for a system audit as the last person who maintained it did a very excellent job. Very excellent indeed. Settling politics aside, our main job is to just get capacity and programming up to date. Although we were given three days, I was only given one by my Boss with the other remaining two days to compile the report. And so, just to save some time, on my next trip here, I decided to get all the programming from the CPU.

Unlike the newer models, I cannot just stick in the memory card and have everything downloaded. No, this is the older Generation system where everything has to be copied down by hand and you have to manually do this. But the problem is, there are over 320 extensions and just going through each program is going to take hours. Hours which can be better spent to trace the hundreds of slots in the frame. And so, using a Serial card and a program, I used a makeshift solution to get all the necessary data in just a fraction of the time require. The problem lies in the fact that 80% of the extensions are Single-Line phones which are difficult to trace if they're active or not. And so, one must physically check them on every floor.

Anyway, I am just preparing because this job has not started yet. Ha ha ha.

There are more than 300 points that
needs to be traced, on all three blocks
and fifteen floors. It could take days!

And so, I "borrowed" the serial card from the Company,
run a program, and diverted the data into my Notebook
instead of a serial printer. 40 minutes and its done, in
the meantime, I could go on doing my work........

No comments: