NERF's Pinpoint Sight

The Purchase
During the dinner at Chillie's. I brought the girls to the toy shop, hoping to distract them so wife and gang could catch up on old times. And here, I saw a new NEFR product, which is a sight. This sight, the "Pinpoint Sight" is something new because NERF aiming tool have either been the traditional scope or a lever. And this was modelled after the holographic weapon sight which was all the rage more than five years ago. The sight was so new, its not even on the Toys r Us or JayaJusco's shelves, let alone e-Toyz.

I paid RM29.90 for this. Its a bit
expensive but I can't say much
except that I loved it. Ha ha ha

All NERF scopes and sights are interchangeable on a
lot of other NEFT weapons, such as the Scout here,
as long as they have the mounting rails.


OK, let's have closer look. At this angle, the sight
looks horrible. But then, this is function over form


The idea is based on EOTech, the first company which
invented this. Here are some of their actual scopes, and
yeah, I took the image from their website. I thought it
was Bushnell who made them but I was wrong.


The sight runs on two AAA batteries compared to
an actual one which most probably uses the flat
CR2032 coin cells or something similar. Then again,
this is a toy and everything's plastic.


There is an on off switch at the left hand side. See the
barrel-like thing on top of the switch? We'll come to
that later. I am not sure how the real ones work, but
I think they have a switch too and not those gun grip
type of switches.

OK, coming back to the barrel, it houses a red laser
module, hence the need for the AAA batteries. So,
when you switch it on, it would shine onto the clear
plastic screen on the left.


And this is how it would look like to your eye. Its as
if the red dot is floating. You are supposed to line the
dot and then fire. But I am not so sure about this. Do
I have to line up to the cross-hairs or just see where
the dot goes and fire and hope it hits the target?

Testing the sight
And so, I got the girls to try out the sight by putting in on one of the NERF guns. They were very excited (better than dolls). And so, we played for almost half an hour before Mommy comes in........

Here, Kristine is showing how NOT to use the sight

She is still not sure how to use it though as she
was more familiar with the Longshot's scope

Finally. I put the sight on the NERF Scout, thinking it
was small enough for her. But pulling the powerful
slide to load the weapon was too much for her. I
guess their thumbs and fingers are still too weak.

Even Kaelynn had problems. Finally, I took the
sight off and attached it to a Night Finder.

This was because of the Nite Finder's rear which
has a ring for you to pull. In the end, they're used
to the Nite Finder which was much easier to load.


However, there was a problem because of the ring,
it tends to jut out and so, when they pull the trigger,
their heads would block the pull and in the end, the
foam dart just fall out of the barrel.

Luckily, the ring was not sharp or else
Kaelynn's ears would be gone.

Did I mention that I only gave them
two darts? There were a lot of these
moments. Hee hee hee hee


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute little girls with nerf guns...

That reminds me, once I get some cash together, I plan to arm my nieces. I'm even looking into custom painting just so the youngest (and girly-girliest,) can have a pink Nite Finder.

Alex said...

Bushnell also makes them. However, EOTech provides the ones used by the militar. The Bushnell version is cheaper and less reliable. The EOTech one is so tough it can be shot with pistol bullets and it'll still work.

As for the function, if you have to line up the dot with a marking, it isn't a holosight so this the description Nerf gave is very flawed. Holosights "print" the dot on the target no matter the range, so your eyes can be wide open and do not have to refocus. This allows you to focus on the threat instead of the dot.

In other words this product is designed to look like a holosight but it's actually a red dot sight, a completely different technology.

Still wonderful and I'd buy it except all the cool nerf stuff isn't sold in America. $29? yikes.

Cute girls btw.

CFC said...

Thanks, Alex.

Well, I am surprised NERFs are not being sold there. But I do remember a year or two ago, they planned to do away with toys that looked like guns. And so, guess where Toys r Us redirected the NERFs to? Heh heh.

Yeah, the EOTechs are tough but its so rare here. Anyway, I;m so happy that I get to have NERFs after so many years of eBay scouting and pleading sellers to ship here.

Oh, its MYR29.00 which roughly under 10 buck in America. My Bad.

Anonymous said...

Alex is right. What he means is a holographic sight, or holosight for short, which basically focus on the target so you don't have to line up anything.

Also, the sight is pretty good that I've heard from other reviews... Most buyers are happy with it and it's good to see a Nerf "scope" product that actually works besides the tactical light.

It's also really unique but just came out and hasn't hit a lot of stores. But I bet it'll be a good seller.

Also, if anyone wants to know the best Nerf product, it's either a Recon, Maverick, or Raider.

CFC said...

Thanks, guys,

The scope did help my girls aim better. But unfortunately, one of them lost it somewhere in the house. Most porbably they hid it in a rush (and forgot about it later) because Mommy tends to take the guns away from them. Ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I've been forging a lot you know, stuff at roblox
Go to Roblox dot com!