The sense of melancholy

While clearing my things on my Notebook, I took a glimpse of my old tool pouch. Unlike the (old or ex) working files on the Notebook which I can just pack and archive it on DVDs, I cannot do the same with my tools. Everyday, I carry them, if not on the hips, it was in the car boot. And everyday, I used them and just placing my right hand in it I know which tool to use and so on. It feels so.... well, so complete.

I started to carry tools with me ever since I was on my first job. At first, I put them all on a vest, which made me look more like a baggy photographer minus the camera. Not only that, since I was a pillion rider on the back of technician's bikes, the vest could be a potential organ puncturing device should we fall off the bike. And so I put them on a fanny pouch but constant zipping and unzipping wore them out quickly. Always the one with the tools on hand, I finally stuffed them onto a big toolbox, which not only serves as a ladder but enough to kill a person if I swung it. And so, when I came to the actual second job, I had to leave the toolbag in the car since most of the time I would be climbing ladders and such. And so, I invested into the more practical hip pouch. Which, to me is very comfortable and logical since with this design, not only can I leave both hands free, I can just quickly reach for my tools with just one hand.

I caught on the hip ouch design after seeing some Military photos on the Internet and quickly got a rugged one. At this time, although the hip pouch were on sale here, it took quite some time before it caught on. But when even now, I rarely see them except that the contractors have now adopted a more conservative pouch design which is a small rectangular or ammo pouch, usually on the waist. No, these are not for tools but more on their own stuff which I am not even sure that is inside.

For me, not only does it serve its purpose, most time, it was also a conversation piece which some thought I looked like some Military guy. But now, if I were to wear them again, now minus the jeans, but with black pants, it would look awkward. Very, very awkward. Wearing them when going shopping is the next best thing, I suppose, only problem is, I don't even know what to put inside it. But I really do miss that hip pouch.....

Meet Mr. Tool-pouch the Third, who is taking a well-
earned rest. I hope to use it again sometime this year...

1 comment:

Nex said...

I have yet to find something I really like...I've discarded my waist pouch which I used to many many years but my needs have changed and i need a bigger bag...

Thought about getting a messenger bag but couldn't find one rugged enough to handle the punishment I'll surely unleash on it, unless I'm willing to shell out US$200...