20240716 There are Two Lights!

The first time I noticed my left headlamp was not lamping was sometime in the last week of June. Ever since we moved to our own house, we had to get up very early in the morning to beat the traffic. And so, you guess it, driving in the dark was a little too dangerous what with other drivers did not have their morning coffee yet.

My spare lamp did not light up either and so, I began to suspect the wiring, which has hardened due to years (or shall I say, a decade) of being exposed to the element and engine heat. Just least year, because of a degrading rubber seal on the windscreen (which I found out was a common problem with this Myvi model), every time it rained, my dashboard lights has an extra disco mode. Trouble-shooting this area might solve a year long issue but it would mean going to the passenger side, especially the fuse box. And I'm too tired after coming home in the evening.

After discussing with the Techs at work, I started to look into the car's fuse box in the engine bay...


This is the view of the whole headlamp assembly as seen from the rear. The plug grips onto the bulb's metal connectors. Pull that away and also the rubber ICHIKO cover. Then slowly un-clip the metal springs to release the bulb. And yeah, the three wires here are hardened.

It took me quite some time to realise that the 'HEAD' is the headlamp relay and not the smaller 10A ones above it.

So I decided to order a replacement which came after 24 hours.

The replacement in the one on the LEFT but just like the review on the Shop, although it is brand new (The plastic package was not opened nor tampered with), it does have some scratches.

Finally! After putting it on, the right headlamp is still not lighting up.

So, I replaced the existing lamp with my spare which I've been keeping for years. I rarely used the headlamps, even when I was working further away years ago.

The older bulb had some suspect contacts. The backup bulb looks good. But alas, the right headlamp is still not lighting up. Looking closer, I realised its contacts was bent but yeah, it was still not lighting up.

As a last resort, I got this RM7.90 bulb from Mr. DIY. It proved that the earlier two bulbs were fit to be thrown away.

And the next day, coming back from work, I noticed the left headlight was not lighting up as well. I decided to get a new set with 130% more broghtness.

It's been after a few days and both light are working, with the left lamp slightly brighter. If either one keeps blowing after each replacement, it could be the alternator...

No comments: