20240904 The Coffee I liked

 

This brand, Old Town, is nice but their prices have reached the RM18.00 mark while the rest are hovering at the RM14.00 mark. I am thinking of making my own salted caramel

 

So, what is coffee?
I've been drinking it since my parents introduced it to me. It was hot black coffee with some sugar, poured from a thermos flash on a cold morning with me sipping it in the car.

I wasn't much into it until after I came back from the UK and started working. I mean, British Tea was great and all but the taste kind of tapered off to the sweet end. And then when I got my first real coffee, you know, the ones where you add sugar and milk to it, it was good for a change. But I was still addicted to milk tea, the ones which were served by the Mamaks. Ice Cold Pulled Milk Tea, which goes by the name of "Teh Tarik". It was a nice drink until it was informed the tea leaves were just powdered stuff. And so, this fact slowly steered my choice to coffee. My mouth usually uttered 'Teh ais ' before I even take a seat but nowadays, it's 'Kopi ais'.

But for the last two decades, I would usually switch to powdered sachets because it was insane not to have coffee in the house even at 3am. Plus, I'd be too sleepy to drive and search for any open Mamak shop. I can't remember when was the exact time I switched over but it was the same time I've started to mix drinks. So, I'd guess it would be in the mid-2010's. Ever since I 'invented' the Neslo where you add Milo to Nescafe in a 1:1 ratio (that's another story), I've been adding chocolate to coffee, which after many years later, it was called, Mocha. It was also the same time that I realised I was addicted to Coffee Bean after two expensive drinks, and so, that had to stop but that gave me ideas of iced coffee with syrups.

So, why these interest with coffee? I am not even addicted to caffeine as I can sleep normally even after a few cups. Sadly, the same cannot be said with actual Chinese Tea which leaves me awake for hours.  And I am definitely not a Nescafe Fan where their coffee tastes bitter.


Anyway, my latest fad would be, apart from mocha and white coffee, it is coffee with salted caramel. I was first introcduced to it before the pandemic was the RENCHÉ ROAST brand. At that time, I would be testing a lot of brands and forgetting what they tasted like when the pack finishes. But not RENCHÉ ROAST as it has caramel. Then Old Town suddenly came out with it sometime in 2023 right during the time when caramel was starting to gain interest. This has a stronger caramel presence and so, when mixed with (actual) chocolates such as Toblerone or Cadbury's Chocolate drink, it was a very, very good combination.

No comments: