20290914 The Voyager Commbadge

Ever since I watched Star Trek Voyager more than a decade ago, I loved their ComBadge. Initially, the oval Next Generation was good but after a while, it kinda look old. I used to have a thick TNG ComBadge which gives out that chirp whenever it was pressed. Later on, as the sweat from my hand affected the chrome, it kinda went forgotten.

But the desire to have another 'working' ComBadge still persist. There was a Bluetooth version but this was not my kind of thing since I rarely talk on my Mobile.

What's next?

This thought was in my mind the whole day. It is possible to make one. Deck7 has made it but at a limited run and then, disappeared. There are a few obstacles I need to overcome since the issue lies with the Prop's thickness which is quite thin. I need to find a solution that plays the chirp sound, uses low power battery and still be light enough to stick to the costume or shirt.

So, these are the issues I need to overcome besides getting someone to re-create the Delta badge but hollowed out. Magnets still plays a part though.

For the time being, it is still a fridge magnet


I got a friend to recast this IPI badge so many years ago, for the Premier of 2913 Star Trek Movie, Into Darkness. I cannot do the deed again since he dropped it and the badge actually chipped. Ten years later, the extra ones that became my Fridge Magnets had a dark circle in them. It must be the strong neodymium magnet pulling the metal particles of the silver paint. I am tempted to respray them. One day. Ish...

No comments: