How to make a prop in three days

Well, two days, really. Because I bloody ran out of time!

And I just finished this at 330 in the morning. Man, I am so tired. OK, here's the story.

Remember the plastic toy fan I got a few days ago? I decided to make it into something that looks like a scanner from a Sci-Fi movie/TV show.

DAY ONE
Took the fan apart, looked at the spaces inside so that I can determine how much electronics I can put it. Not much, in fact. There is only enough space for a set of LEDs and a microprocessor. So, traditional off-the-shelf electronic chips are out of the question. Moreover, Pasar Road does not open at mid-night


See all the pieces? I had to store them in a box because
Kristine likes to take stuff from my table while I am
away at work

So, once I got the idea on which lighting sequence to use for the LEDs, the idea is set. It is convenient to use a micorprocessor to do this because I can try out a few lighting sequence before deciding on the one I liked. Also, because this microporcessor has its own internal clock, I can further minimise all the electronics to just a few items:

1) The microprocessor
2) The 10-LED array
3) A push-button switch
4) A piezo beeper
5) A flashing blue-red LED


There you go! This is the prototype board I use.
The LEDs are moving towards you as if you're
collecting data. At the same time, you have a
beeping sound to make the prop more
(dis)functional


Once I am happy with the sequence, I program
them into the microprocessor chip

DAY TWO
It took me six hours to wire up all the stuff and also put it inside the small casing. It was not wasy because the thin fragile wires would break or I have to resolder them again, etc. Because its so small, I did not use any circuit boards but rather, solder them wire by wire. I have to be careful so as to not short-circuit anything. I could have used those small SMT chips but they are expensive and also time-consuming as delivery could take weeks. So, for a last minute prop, these would suffice.


Sometimes, I wished my fingers are as small as Kristine's


Power it up and its good to go!


OK, here is a short video clip of it in action. If I had another day, I would have painted it. But instead, the only thing I could do at the moment is to cut two strips of rubber foam and stick it to the sides. Ha ha ha ha

No comments: