OffWorld Blade Runner Blaster

Finally, I got the chance to see Kalkamel's OffWorld 2019 Blaster. I was so excited when he told me that it "got through". This is the slightly more robust version of the famed Blade Runner blaster. However, according to Kalkamel, it is not as accurate as the WorldCon version where the blaster "surfaced" out of nowhere and a lot of people took a lot of pictures for reference. You can consider that as the Holy Grail of all Blade Runner blasters. So, in the near future, there will be a lot of new kits coming out and they will be much more accurate than the current version. This was because the current blasters on the market was made via screen picture references taken from the original 1982 movie. In that era, the movie‘s video quality was of not much help since it was grainy. Even with the LD or DVD version, the dark environment threw up a lot of unanswered questions about the blaster's colour and so on, as it was always in the shadows or made unidentifiable due to lighting ( I think so since I don't remember much about the film anymore) . Anyway, if you go to Kal’s blog, I am sure he will explain about this in more detail. That is, if he blogs about it. Ha ha ha ha.


The OffWorld Blaster is close enough for it to be recognised as a Blade Runner blaster but not 100% screen accurate. But what really interested the Blade Runner fans was that this blaster, which is made mostly from metal and plastic parts, have a few prominent features:

1) It has a working trigger and also, if you are brave enough, to open it up and replicate all plastic parts into metal and then modify it slightly, in theory, you could have a working pistol. There are two triggers and if I am not mistaken, Harrison Ford used only one, which is the one nearest to the grips.

2) Although the bullet chamber cannot be rotated for fresh rounds, you can, according to Kal, put in replica .38 rounds into it. There are five rounds but I am not sure since my memory about the movie is quite vague already


3) And just like in the movie, the red LEDs are there. However, if you wish to be more accurate, you'd have to fit in the fifth LED and move the slide switch to outside of the casing

4) Because the blaster was made from a combination of an actual rifle and a revolver which is the Steyr Mannlicher .222 Model SL rifle and a Charter Arms .44 Special Police Bulldog. One of the feature of this blaster is that you can open the lever and pull the breech just like a real rifle. But this feature was not shown in the movie.

After carefully playing with it, the gun feels quite right but suprisingly, the grips are slightly too bulky for me. The same can be said for actual guns too. Maybe I am too used to toy guns. But after having a brief once-over with blaster, I am so tempted to get one myself. Unfortunately, there is a risk with the Customs confiscating it. And also, I have to explain to my wife why I got a gun too. And then Mr. VISA why I am not paying my bills on time as well............


Sigh. Maybe its easier to just take Kal’s blaster and then run far far away………

No comments: