Building my Notebook PSU part IV

And so, after lunch, I decided to complete my Notebook PSU with the barest of components since there is no point (at the moment) to realise my actual plan of turning into another source of Beng-power.

So I got Kristine to get my working
case over to me. As it was too heavy
for her, Kaelynn decided to help.

Its a very simple setup. I soldered one 5 volt voltage
regulator and one 12volt regulator onto a stripboard.
Then the connectors were next. Then I used some
double-sided tapes to stick the whole thing to the
heatsink. The DST also helps creating an electrical
barrier between the heatsink and the circuit board.
Right now, the connectors for the 5volt is empty as I
do not have any plans to put in the digital meters.


And so, this is how it looks and the PSU is
very cool to the touch. I have to bring this
to the office to test it out too since it was
in the office that the PSU got hot.

There. All done but there is still one thing left to do, which is to create a cover of some sort to prevent fingers from accidentally touching the Live wires.

[Update: 17112009 1054]
The power supply's heatsink is cool to the touch even when I blocked it from the Air-con's path. But somehow, the noise from the twin fans blowing air are starting to annoy me. Maybe I need to put in some rubber feet to further reduce the vibration as well. Moreover, when I switch the PSU off, the load from the fans helps to quickly discharge the capacitors (I think). All in all, its very good but I still need to get a casing since this morning my Boss nearly killed himself looking at the PSU.

No comments: