Corrupting innocent minds

So, after clearing all our appointments and calls for the week, everyone was quite free for today's activity. This is a very important activity and you could say, its a last resort activity as for me, I felt that there is not enough time anymore. For the past few months, I tried to bring my Senior Tech along with me for most of the customer calls but it was never that easy to meet halfway for one or two customer as we both finish at different times from previous appointments. And so, after reinforcing my requirements for actual training, I got it.

So, with my Boss and Senior Tech sitting in, I made sure they understood what I was trying to convey. Its not easy because neither of them thinks like me but they know this is important. Thinking back decades ago, when I was in my Primary School, I dreaded standing in front of everyone and make speeches or debates. And when my former English Teacher encouraged me to do it, I could say it was disastrous. Getting A's in English was not a problem but having a spotlight leaves me a nervous wreck. But not anymore. Because after reading up on so many self-help books (which did not help) and opening up a bit to people, I find talking to people is actually, quite alright.

But don't ask me to write a 5000 word speech and then tell me the King/Prime Minister/Boss, etc. is in the audience. But what makes it so exciting, if you're not being overwhelmed by your fears, that is, is that people RESPECT you enough to give you some of their precious time to hear you speak.

Anyway, come to think of it, sometimes I really enjoy doing training. Looking at the audience, pretending I care and then spotting the odd ones yawning, their eyes glazed over is quite fun. And they cannot do anything else but stare in front and at least, pretend to pay attention while you try to bore them more. Yes, this is the power you have over them.

And the killer words?

"Please pay attention as there are no notes (and it will be in your exams, etc.)"

This is the system I am training everyone today.
We had to put everthing here as I will be using the
PC. I could have requested all this to be put into
our Technical Office/Lab/Room where is a white
board but this is going to waste more time.

No comments: