Eprom Data

While we're shifting stuff between both floors, I came upon the NEC again. This time, there is really no hope for it at all. So, while I was taking the cards out, I came across a few EPROMs. When I was younger, I was fascinated with EPROMs but doing up a circuit to reveal its data was too cumbersome for me (OK, I was too lazy). I was into EPROMs quite a lot, not because of its function to store data but more of a jewel because of its UV window. This is a small piece of quartz window which uses Ultraviolet light to erase data in the EPROM. But what was more important to me was how it reflects light of the rainbow and I was looking all over Malaysia to get a really clear and strong resin so I can make a keychain out of it. And also, buy a darn good EPROM programmer for both UV EPROMS and EEPROMS (unfortunately, which in the end, the money went to a Sony Playstation instead. Ha ha ha ha)

Anyway, I liberated a few EPROMs and used the PIC chip to go over its contents and display them on a row of LEDs. But because the PIC I used had only 16 pins, I could not get the full range of data. Then again, do I really want to?

The reason why I am so interested again is because the data output from the EPROM is the perfect way to generate random blinking lights. But the EPROM I got, did not have much data so in the end, what you see in the video was a lot of flashing instead of random stuff.

Maybe I can still save up for an EPROM programmer even though these technology is obsolete..............
This is the test circuit

And this is the video below:

No comments: