Anakin Force FX Lightsaber Part I

[28.06.2010 23:46]

I got a SMS from Richard the yesterday asking me to have a look at a Lightsaber which was left by a customer for a week in the shop. And so, after getting it today, I was amazed at the quality and built of the toy. And so, after examining it, here is a brief review of the Anakin Force FX Lightsaber:

The Review
Its nice as a display item. And should be selling for RM225.00

There. How do you like my 5-star review?

Anyway, before opening such things, I needed to go over again and again so that I can mentally prepare myself for what is to come and/or the scale of stupidity I might be tempted to create if I am not too careful. Luckily, there were many others who have walked this journey before me and so, I can read all about them from the Internet...

Anyway, the problem with this toy is that, the customer claimed it is not very sensitive when it comes to hitting something. In fact, he has to hit it harder to register the sound. Which is weird because when I tried it, it was OK.

Well, it was OK for one angle and not OK for the rest. I did not dare to hit it hard because although polycarbonates are tough, they are not when you mix brute force and stupidity into the equation. (That's why I said it is a display item. don't believe me? Show it to your friends after a rounds of beer.)

This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a Lightsaber.
And like my own, its nothing more than an
over-glorified torchlight. But here, those little
wonderful boys did something better; they
added a lot of gee-whiz electronics into a very
long traffic baton and called it a Lightsaber

To tell you the truth, I hated this switch design
which reminds me of an embedded peanut. Oh,
and its chromed plastic covering a very stiff and
grumpy slide switch.

I am not sure who did this but I am very sure
someone tried to force this open in the hopes
of well, opening the whole toy. I will tell you
later why this method is wrong.

Opening the bottom cover, I thought the whole
electronics were in this battery pack. Then I
realised that this is not possible since there is
only enough space for the 3x AAA batteries and
the small speaker. I like how they designed the
hilt where the speaker grill is part of the saber
and the cover is a metal ring to hold it all in.

This is the view into the hilt. The yellow arrow is
a plastic alignment guide for when you insert the
battery pack There are only three sprin loaded
connector prongs, which is for positive power,
negative power and speaker.

OK. I am sleepy now. Good night.

No comments: