I hate SRBP!


When it comes to making prototype circuits, the fastest way would be to use the stripboards. They are called as such because of the copper strips. One good thing about these stripboards are that not only are they cheap, they are made of SRBP (or FR2) materials which is easy to cut. However, their advantage can also be their greatest weakness.


This is because SRBP (Synthetic Resin Bonded paper) is brittle and easy to shatter when subjected to force or improper cutting tool.



I usually use a hacksaw to cut the stripboards but tonight, I am going to use an acrylic scriber instead

The problem with the scriber is that you need to score the lines repeatedly until you're more than halfway through. Then you can use both your hands to bend the board and it will snap off cleanly. However, this theory only works with acrylics. You can see the failed result here.
Looking at the uneven break, you can see how deep I have scored the board, which is only half the height of the board. This is OK but because I am using a scriber, the depth of the score is very shallow on the both ends of the board. So, when I snapped it in half, the uneveness at the edges caused the failure.
I am going to try again, this time making sure that the depth of the score is level, even at the edge.
But, I am also going to show you another failure. When you snap the board, you must snap it inwards with the copper side in the inside. Here, I 'folded' with the copper side outside the fold. Another fail.
And one more thing, when you scribe, you must use the lines between the copper tracks and not the holes unless you're using a saw. This, in the long run, blunts the scriber blade.

Sigh. I think I will go back to using hacksaws and score the wooden table's surface at the same time. Then again, its not an actual table but a nice wooden board suspended on top of a wooden bed's plank which is supported by a pair of wooden saw horse.

No comments: