20240818 The best Car Interior Light in the World

 Ever since I realised VeeChai's courtesy light has burnt, I was on the lookout for a replacement. This time, I preferred something along the lines of NOT being a incandescent bulb. Like any other bulbs, this W5W is not different. It does give you a nice light but at the same time, because it can get hot and affect the clear RM30.00 plastic cover.

Using COBs

I replaced the roof lights in my first Bengmobile quite some time ago and the LEDs were OK. It was not spectacularly bright but it was alright. Fast forward more than a decade later, it is VeeChai's turn. And so, I got this off the Internet or to be more specific, Shopee.

This time, this is a COB (Chip on Board) version as it is supposedly brighter than LEDs.

 

This is a 48 LED version and it comes with at least three different connectors. And this COB is quite thin. The thickness you're seeing are actually the double-sided tape.
Mine was a W5W connector (lower left)

Damn, my roof is dirty after all these years. Anyway, I just need to pry off the cover (from near the switch side) and I can start with the replacement.

The W5W bulb is held by a very strong set of metal connectors. I just have to push the left connector a little to the left and the bulb will drop out. Inserting the W5W adaptor is quite tricky since it is fighting me all the way.

Finally, the COB plate is in and boy, I am so underwhelmed by the 48 LED's brightness.
Actually, two LED elements are out, with another two on its way.

The W5W bulb which is burnt.

The term sucker immediately comes to mind. I need to make the surrounding darker so that I can use the dim COB LEDs... or maybe, cover the whole car with a black cloth instead...


 Summary

So, yeah, I am not too happy about this dim COB. Which means I would need to get another set somewhere. One day. Soon. Maybe.

No comments: