My OLED Screen

OK, I'll tell you the truth now. There IS a reason why I made sure we went to Mid-Valley the other night. This was because I really needed the microSD card for the project. Yep, its an OLED display module from 4DSystems which I have saved up for. I wanted to get it since 2005 but because of other things (like, kids and securing a job after my resignation). Anyway, its here and I am very excited to start working on it.

I had to buy this on-line directly from them because the local distributor told me that he is not ordering from them at the moment because of the currency exchange rate and also my just one item did not contribute significantly to his order quantity. Still getting it direct means I save a bit of money and also they do not have any minimum order. Haih, I tried to support local companies and this is the reply I get. And days later, they arrived in the form of a padded envelope and the two items. No thank you note or a receipt or anything. Which is fine for me because I really do not care much about it and as I have gone through their website, everything I needed can be downloaded.

Anyway, I chose the 1.7" display (160 width x 128 height) since it was the correct size for the project. So far, I only had the time to take an image and resize it to the screen's resolution. Later on, I will need to download software to convert a simple movie to the proper size. Right now, I have to concentrate on how to "tell" it what to do from a microprocessor via some serial commands or its own graphic language, 4DGL. One thing though, it advised not to use too much while as it would consume a lot of current. Not only that, it also advised you to make sure the image is different to prevent screen-burn.

The OLED module is on the left while the programmer/connector is
on the right.

Turn the display module over and you can see its main components.
The RM25.00 2GB microSD is just waiting to be released from its plastic
prison and inserted into the module.

This is the splash screen I got when I clicked on the "Info" button
on the software. Its small and its amazing!

My first working picture, a 160x128 Map of the Brittania.
Its hard to photograph maybe because of the refresh rate
but whichever angle you look at it, its brilliant and there's
no distortion unlike a normal LCD screen!

1 comment:

Nex said...

Hope you get this thing up and running ASAP. I have a Stargate GDO just waiting for something like this to make it a really cool prop...

And if this screen can fit into, and work on the GDO, you'll have a lot of people wanting one! *Ka Ching*!